Adapted from Julia Child’s recipe for Tranches d’aubergine a l’italienne
Ingredients (all purchasable at Paws & Go)
- Three 3/4-inch thick slices of eggplant
- One jar of Prego pasta sauce
- A small salad box filled ¾ of the way with the shredded cheese and ¼ of the way with baby spinach leaves or other toppings of your choice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil (also available at the salad bar)
- Servings: a filling dinner for one
1. Place the slices on top of two paper towel sheets and add a generous amount of salt. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes to draw out the water in the eggplant.
2. Wipe the slices with the paper towels to remove most of the salt.
3. Rub olive oil on both sides of the eggplant slices and season with salt and pepper.
4. Microwave on high for 3 minutes on a microwave-safe plate
5. Top each slice with about half an inch of tomato sauce and a generous amount of cheese.
6. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until the cheese melts.
7. Top with baby spinach leaves or the topping of your choice.
If you have the time to go to Shnucks, pick up some fresh cheese, fresh basil, and fresh oregano to get a little closer to Julia’s level.