Spinach and Tomato Frittata

IMG_6729

“How do you feel about frittatas?” JP asked me one evening.

“Hate em,” I snapped quickly.

I immediately felt ridiculous. I’ve never made or eaten a frittata but I have decided that they are gross. 40% of my disdain lies in the blahness of the word “frittata”  (say it a few times and  you’ll understand). The other 60% of my disdain exists because I’ve been equating frittatas to quiches (which is another egg dish that I hate despite never having eaten one).

I admitted my frittata lameness to JP and he showed me a recipe that looked… delicious. “Okay let’s make frittata for dinner,” I said, reminding myself that Fooducated is about trying new things.

Turns out, I love frittatas. “We’re frittata people now,” JP exclaimed with his first bite. Yes we are.

Frittatas, to my great admiration, take about 10 minutes to throw together. They require a single pan, which means frittata messes take about 2 minutes to clean up. And frittatas – if you make them without cream – won’t bog you down. They’re light and fluffy and a perfect detox dish after a weekend of eating God knows what.

Frittatas are also a great way to use leftover ingredients. I threw chopped up cherry tomatoes and baby spinach (from our Thai Green Chicken Curry recipe below) into the saute pan. You can add almost anything that you have in your fridge. Ham? Do it. Broccoli? Do it. Cheddar cheese? Obviously do it. Please don’t be afraid to take your frittata night as an opportunity to be creative.

This recipe is basically Alton Brown’s frittata recipe but adapted to the contents of my fridge. Make sure your saute pan is broiler-safe before you do this.

(serves 2 for dinner or 4 if you make a nice salad with it)

Ingredients

  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 cup of parmesan
  • 1 teaspoon of butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • dried oregano (or basil, parsley, thyme, or Italian herb mix)

Steps

  1. Turn on your broiler.
  2. Get a saute pan with the butter on the stove over medium-high heat.
  3. Chop up the cherry tomatoes.
  4. Add the cherry tomatoes and the spinach to the pan just as the butter starts to brown. Let them saute for three minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, beat the eggs, parmesan, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
  6. Add the egg mixture to the saute pan and give it one good stir.
  7. Cook for 5 minutes or until the bottom is cooked and the top is starting to set. Lightly sprinkle the top with the dried oregano.
  8. Place pan under the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes (watch carefully) or until the top is brown and the eggs look fluffy.
  9. Slice the frittata into pieces like a pizza.
  10. Enjoy!

 

About these ads


Fooducate me by leaving your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s